Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Last Month

Opa and his newest grandson about a month ago.  This little guy has grown so much since then!  My boys always gained a healthy amount in their first few weeks, and the most any of them had gained by 6 weeks was about 3 lbs  This little guy gained more than 5 lbs his first 4 weeks!  I think his Mama is feeding him whipped cream. 
 On the third Sunday in September, Mike and I went up to London to see Mom and Dad V in the hospital.  This was two days before Dad's stem cell transplant (check out his blog for updates!).  We were surprised to be able to go on a quiet walk around the hospital with him yet, and it was good to visit with the two of them.  This picture, taken from the parking lot, is of them waving goodbye from the isolation room window.  
Somewhere in the insanity of September, I had a milestone birthday.  30 years old!  It kind of got lost in the shuffle, but I celebrated with the younger two boys by taking them to the petting zoo to see the animals, feed the ducks, and play on the playground.  Mike went to Strathroy for the weekend to help out with installing new flooring, but Mom & Dad M and Danielle & Timothy came over, and we had a celebratory dinner at... wait for it... McDonalds.  Yeah.  Fancy dinner!  It went over a little better with the kids than a nicer restaurant would have.  Maybe next year we can celebrate 30 again. 
On the fourth Sunday in September, we went to Hamilton to witness and celebrate the baptism of our first nephew on my side of the family. 
On the next weekend, we had a baby shower at Tom's mom's home in Cayuga.  I didn't take any pictures at the shower, but I stopped on my way home to take a few pictures of the changing fall colours along the Grand River. 
 It's amazing how long a child can be entertained by putting toothpicks into an empty spice jar
What a ham
Peter brought home an "All About Me" book that he had put together in Kindergarten.  We had a good chuckle over some of his drawings.  He proudly showed me how he could spell the word "green" because he had copied it from the picture.  So apparently his favourite colour is "crayon"
 I'm not sure where he's had happy face cookies (maybe Tim's?) but it seems that he's been traumatized by them. 
This one made me laugh the most.  I would have liked to see the teacher's reaction when he proclaimed that his favourite food is asparagus.  What kind of four year old is this, anyways??  Haha!! At least it's an easy one to draw!
On the Thanksgiving weekend, we were planning to go up to Strathroy for an overnight stay at Jeremy and Sarah's place, a big meal on Monday, and a visit with Dad and Mom in the hospital.  The week before, on Wednesday, Nate woke up from his nap with a fever of 104 degrees.  He didn't seem particularly sad or sick, just a little whiny, the fever dropped with Tylenol, and it had cleared up by Thursday night.  Then on Friday night at bathtime, we found he had developed a rash from his neck down - looking a lot like the Roseola that he had last fall.  Unfortunately this meant that we weren't allowed to visit Dad, and we didn't want to infect all the little nephews, so we didn't end up going.  We went to Hamilton instead to visit my family (not T&L with their little guy though) and took the opportunity to go for some hikes in the forest near their house.  The fall colours were absolutely gorgeous!  On Sunday, we took the older boys and went with Opa to the woods
 The temperatures worked out well this year for some amazingly beautiful displays of God's handiwork
 Looking out over the 20 Mile Creek
 A picture with my hubby
Mike commented that he had to flip through so many "Mussche" pictures on the camera to get to any pictures of people... I guess that's kind of true, but there's so much beauty out there that it's hard not to take pictures. 
 
 On Thanksgiving Monday after church, we headed back to the trails with all the kids and a bigger group of friends and family.  And of course all our cameras. 
 It had been quite some time since I'd been back there on the trails, and it brought back many memories of hikes in years past.  This particular location below reminds me of a certain fuzzy caterpillar that gave me an allergic reaction - a bit of a funny story actually as it involved me ripping my pants off. 
 Somewhat failed family fall phfotograph
 Some of the ladies who accompanied us on our hike
 My lovely parents
 The happy engaged couple - only three more sleeps till the wedding! 
 My dear Mom and me
 The latest edition of Three-Boys-On-A-Couch

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really nice post Rachel. It has a decidedly all-around quality
about it conveying many varied thought processes. One can
read many things 'between the lines'
Dad

Andrea said...

Too bad we could see you this past weekend, but it looks like you had a nice time with your family in Hamilton. We had a good time anyways.

Unknown said...

Yes, Andrea, we were very disappointed not to be there with you all this weekend. Glad to hear you had a good time! Hopefully we can come up soon!

Karen said...

A few things....

- Little Benjamin reminds me so much of your boys when they were small! :) So fun to see T&L with a little one of their own.
- And despite what Mike says, I love your "Mussche" pictures! The fall colours are so beautiful this year!
- Thanks for the update. :) love you both!

Unknown said...

Thanks Karen! I think that too, Benjamin looks like my boys - but he's also changing pretty quickly! I'm glad you enjoyed the "Mussche" pictures :) I love trying to capture a bit of the beauty :)