Thursday, December 08, 2005

What a Tragedy

I have to apologize for making yet another blog about my work. I certainly don't want to write exclusively about my life from 7:30 - 4:00 (or 5:30, or 6:30, or whatever it may be) as I am sure no one is really all that interested, and besides, there is more to life than work. However, I have a tragedy to report. Perhaps it's not really a qualifiable tragedy to the majority of people in the world, and I suppose it isn't even a true tragedy for me, even though I am going to proceed with calling it so. Every day, I receive and open boxes with product. Sometimes, these boxes are very full. Sometimes, they are half empty, and sometimes, it is just one large box with, say, a pencil in the bottom or something silly like that. The tragedy I am alluding to involves the half-empty and almost-empty boxes. To make sure these products do not get thrown around or broken in transit, all empty space is stuffed with stuffing paper or, more to the issue, large, large bubble wrap. This bubble wrap is so big that when you jump on it to pop it, it sounds like someone is having a heyday with a gun in the receiving dock. Just imagine how much fun that would be! Unfortunately, instead of jumping on all the bubble wrap that I come into contact with during the day, I rip it out of the box, slash it with my knife, and throw it away, all in one fell swoop. All this in an effort to be efficient! Thankfully, when I come home, I have so much bubble wrap left over from the attack on my car several weeks ago that I can pop bubbles to my heart's content.
I heard something today which was of note. One of the women I work with has been sick for a few weeks, and although we thought it was the flu or perhaps something slightly more serious, it wasn't the flu. She was diagnosed with cancer, and it doesn't look good. She was at the hospital yesterday, receiving a blood transfusion, and, hockey fan that she is, she was wearing her good old Edmonton Oilers jersey. And who did she figure out was beside her in the room, also receiving a blood transfusion? It was Wayne Gretzky's mother! Imagine that! But it gets better. Who came to visit Wayne Gretzky's mother while she was having a blood transfusion? None other than but Wayne Gretzky himself!! He talked to this lady I know for a while. I'm sure that picked up her spirits a little!!

No comments: