Monday, December 05, 2005

The Receiver

Starting officially today, my territory at Staples has been decreased to less than 5% of what I previously was entitled to. Rather than wandering the store looking for customers to please, I will now be busy in the back, receiving boxes and boxes and boxes of products all day long. Scan, beep, cut, rip, grab, scan, close, move on. It's quite the juggling game and I'd have to say I'm quite tired now, even though I did manage to get home at 6:00.
Despite being quite anxious and concerned over how today was going to go, I'd have to say that I did alright. I didn't finish all the work I had to do, but my manager told me to go home, so I did. I would have gotten more done this morning, if I hadn't arrived at work to find about 30 large garbage bags, boxes full of garbage, and random loose garbage and empty boxes strewn throughout my work area. This was not a pleasant discovery. Neither was the discovery that the "baler", the machine which crushes down space-consuming boxes into non-space-consuming scrunched up bales of cardboard, was on the blitz. Also not pleasant was the discovery that the lights in the receiving area were not on and as much as my manager, Gord, tried to convince me that this was a "romantic atmosphere" in which to enjoy my first day of receiving, I didn't enjoy not being able to see. Thankfully, today was also the first day (actually I think it was yesterday but whatever), that our new general manager, Carm(en) was working. Gord assured Carm that an electrician had already been called to remedy the no-lights situation, but superhero Carm turned on the light switch and the lights were magically working again.
Although my new responsibilities do require me to spend my days in the back room away from people (well, non-truck-driver people), I do venture into the store once or twice during the day to bring away high-ticket items to be locked up. On one of those trips today, I noticed that the freaky phone (see an earlier post) has been taken out of commission. No longer will people walk by and have the phone talk to them - perhaps it didn't bother anyone but me, but I am personally quite relieved that the phone is leaving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Rachel ... you survived ... here's to hoping each day gets better ...

Unknown said...

today did not get better. it got worse. much worse. so much so that i am typing with my ring fingers b/c my hands are sore. today, i hated my job. i sure hope i have more days like yesterday, when i thought that i could, perhaps, manage this new position.

Anonymous said...

When I was in Staples, we purposely walked by that phone a few times, tried standing in front of it, and I do believe that I even attempted a little jig - but to no avail - apparently we're not special enough for the phone to talk to us.