Monday, November 28, 2005

The Very Last

Tonight the very last Tangerine Orange Zinger tea bag in our home was steeped and sucked dry of its tea-yummy-liciuos decaffeinated flavour-ful-ness. The original plan was to save this teabag and several select others until I was done the "Summer Berry" tea purchased from Food Basics some time this summer, but tonight has officially, just now, by me, been designated Tangerine Orange Zinger night, and if you have any other kind of tea on a night which is officially a Tangerine Orange Zinger night, there could be severe consequences.
If you ever have a desire for a fruity kind of herbal tea, I urge you not to purchase Summer Berry tea from Food Basics. When I think of summer berries, daydreams of sweet strawberries, juicy raspberries and blackberries, mulberries and blueberries, and perhaps even cherries and a dollop of whipped cream (though they are not a berry at all) cross my mind and make my mouth water. Thus, while perusing the tea selection at the local cheap food store, Summer Berry herbal tea was the natural choice. Perhaps the MasterChoice label should have tipped me off, but alas, the juicy strawberry on the package caught my attention and urged me to add the tea to my shopping cart.
The aroma which reached my nose when I opened the package at home was slightly suspicious, but I gave the tea the benefit of the doubt and steeped a bag. However, once I sat down to enjoy some berry-licious tea, the flavour was more than slightly suspicious. This could not be berry tea!! This tea belonged in the deep winter, a tea tasting of apple and cinnamin and reminding me of cold winter evenings and warm apple cider. This couldn't be!! Where were my raspberries? Where were my blueberries? Where were the strawberries which so tantalizingly graced the package of the tea box?
I sprang up from my cozy chair to examine the package once more. While the description on the package promised a "delicate blend of strawberry, blueberry and raspberry flavours" which would "create a taste of summer sunshine", the ingredients told the bitter truth.

Hibiscus flowers
Apple granules
Rosehip
Cinnamon bark
Natural flavours
Elderberry

What kind of a "Summer Berry" tea ingredient list is that? The first four ingredients are not even berries at all. Who knows what kind of "natural flavours" they are talking about. And another thing, who thinks of elderberries when they hear "summer berry"? I don't think I've ever even eaten an elderberry before. The whole thing was a scam.
So now it is getting into the winter, and I decided that I have to work through this tea before I can justify buying some real berry tea. I have 11 bags left out of twenty, and I'm sure I'll eventually get through them. Anyone want to come over for a cup of tea?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tangerine-Orange Zinger tea is, by far, the best stuff ever.

And I had that Summer Berry concoction at the Tiggy's the other day and it was sooooo nasty. I considered returning to the kitchen and asking for some sugar, but Jeff and Dan wouldve laughed at me, so I lurked in the sunroom, downing it as quickly as possible, trying to ignore the sickness of it all.

*disappointed