Thursday, November 10, 2005

Wild Weather

Yesterday, I worked in the furniture department from 12-9:30. Although it's only the second night shift I've done, I've already decided that 9 1/2 hours starting at noon is way, way too long, especially because by about 8:00 I am sleepy enough that quality work becomes quite difficult to accomplish, and small things become far too amusing.
It was dark and rainy yesterday, and although I was working at the back corner of the store with no windows, I was glad I could hear the rain pelting the roof all day. However, around 3:30 or so, I was wishing desperately that I was scheduled to work cash, which is right up by the big front windows. There was a terrific thunderstorm developing, with wild winds and heavy rain and strange colours in the sky. All of a sudden, the power went out and alarms started going off all over the place! What excitement!
When the battery-powered lights came on again, I decided that for a few minutes, I could schedule myself to work cash - who wants to buy furniture during such weather anyways? It was just crazy outside, it was raining so hard that you couldn't see anything. Apparently, a tornado was developing and headed over our area, later to touch down in Hamilton and wreak some havok there, including ripping the roof off part of an elementary school and injuring some students, thankfully not too seriously. Who would have expected a tornado 'round these parts?
And this morning, we wake up to a sunny, albeit moody sky. It's cold and calm, and for some reason there are still colorful leaves on the trees outside our apartment, while most of the trees on campus are bald and dark. I'm glad they're still there - forecasters have predicted possible snow for today, and I'm still desperately clinging on to the last cool wisps of autumn before winter moves in for good. Soldier on, leaves!

No comments: