Friday, November 11, 2005

Fish and Feathers

Sad and happy things to report today. Unfortunately, last week, among the busy days and tired nights, the passing away of a little neon tetra in my fish tank did not manage to attain an announcement on this blog. Of course, I missed this little fish and was very sad by its departure into the sea beyond, but to be completely honest, he was one fish among four, a member of the crowd, and he did not develop much of an individual personality. And perhaps this sounds cruel, but he can be replaced.
This is not where my sad tale ends. Yesterday morning, just before I left for work, I went to feed my fish, as I do most mornings. I was terribly dismayed to find the smaller of my two painted glass fish swimming upside-down and trying to right himself among the aquarium plants. He certainly did not look very healthy. As I am not well-trained in fish CPR, I knew the only thing I could do was go off to work and hope for the best - perhaps he was trying to teach himself new swimming techniques. By the time I got home, however, his self-training lessons did not appear to have been very successful, and undertaker Mike flushed him to his watery grave. This poor little fish had such a fun personality and he will be missed, especially by his remaining buddy. If anyone has any idea where painted glass fish can be purchased, please let me know because I can't find them anywhere.
Happy news!! Happy news is much needed after so much sorrow. Yesterday, I got a new pillow from Ikea. It is big and fluffy and comfy, it does not hurt my ear, it does not poke me with feather shafts, it does not lose feathers all over the place, and it is actually filled with down, not tail-feathers (75% anyways). Home Outfitters also accepted my story and gave me a refund on my old pillow, and when the bedding lady took one look at my pillow she agreed that it did not look very healthy at all, and that my pillow was definitely "defective". Yay for good customer service!!

No comments: