Thursday, November 03, 2005

Pebble in my Shoe

Tonight, I hope to get something fixed that has been frustrating me for over 4 months. Actually, to be completely honest, I don't think it's been at a level five frustration for the whole duration of time since June 16, and probably isn't quite at a level five now, but it's still been frustrating and it's always nice when you manage to get rid of something frustrating, like getting a pebble out of your shoe. The pebble in my shoe has been my pillow. My new pillow was purchased on a post-wedding purchase spree, as my old pillow was making me wake up every morning with a sore ear and was hence ready for retirement, as no one likes a sore ear in the morning. This pillow was advertised as a down pillow, and, sure, it felt like down in the store. It looked for all intents and purposes like a down pillow. The price was worthy of a down pillow. However, for reasons to be further pursued, I am now sure it is not, in fact, a down pillow at all. It is a tail-feather pillow.
After about two months, I noticed that my pillow was collecting hard lumps in the corners. Hard lumps are not comfortable to sleep on! Another problem was that whenever I was settling in for the night, I would randomly get poked in the face with feather-stalks, or whatever you call the stick part of a feather. So, already two months ago, I was growing dissatisfied with this pillow which was not a down pillow, but was more of a mix between a rock pillow and a bed-of-nails pillow.
Then, as time passed, I also noticed that everytime the pillowcase got changed, there was a flurry of feathers spread all over the room. This had happened at the beginning as well, but not to such a serious degree. Now, as I was cleaning up these feathers, I began to notice that these feathers were somewhat on the big side to qualify as down feathers. In fact, some of these feathers were LARGE and PRICKLY, and most likely not down feathers at all but tail feathers. I have saved some of the largest offenders to show to the people at the store tonight: one of them is 4 1/2 inches long.
So anyways, I hope my case will be accepted by the folks at the store. I still have the receipt (DOWN AROUND PLW Q, item #021191121547 994), which I imagine is a good thing. I believe it is false advertisement to sell a pillow as a "down" pillow, while in fact it is a "tail-feather" pillow. If I wanted a tail-feather pillow I would have bought one that said so. I wouldn't recommend it though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did Michael outgrow his allergic reaction to feather pillows??? The things he does for love... :)

Anonymous said...

the stick part of the feather is called the 'quill' or if you want to be really particular, the 'calamus' :)
teehee
now you can really show those store clerks up :)

Unknown said...

Mike? Allergic to feathers? I didn't think he was allergic to anything... I thought it was natural that he sneezes from the time he goes to bed to the time he gets up. And sometimes during the day. Do you think it might be the pillow? :S