Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Forget Me Not

So far, I have spent my whole day wondering what it is that I forgot to do. It started right after breakfast, and since then, I've been plagued with a little worry in the back of my mind that is telling me that I have forgotten something important. I checked several times during the day for some obvious things: yes, I brought my lunch with me; yes, I brushed my teeth this morning; yes, I put on my pants this morning; yes, my fly is zipped up. So now, it is 5:30 p.m. and I still haven't remembered what it is that I forgot. I was supposed to water the plants this morning, so that may or may not be the forgotten task. Anyone have any grand ideas?
I was working in the furniture department this morning, and I had a lady come in who needed a specialty chair. She was diagnosed with an incurable neuromuscular condition which affects mostly her neck but also her back, and subsequently she has a lack of control over her neck movements. After talking to her for a while and trying to find the best solution for her, she talked to me about her condition and how the doctors said there was no cure and nothing they could do for her. Instead of giving up, she has made up her mind that she's going to beat this thing and stun all the doctors. She has dedicated herself to a vigorous schedule of physiotherapy to strengthen her muscles, exercises to retrain her brain in its control of her movements, and Botox injections. I found it so enjoyable to talk to her, as she was so cheerful, friendly, and determined. After she purchased an Obusform chair, I took it out to her car and loaded it in for her. She gave me a big hug afterwards, and she was so thankful - she definitely made my day!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yesterday I saw the Obusform chair back on the furniture pad. The lady returned it...that made me sad.