Friday, November 04, 2005

A Show of Hands for Hands

When I was at work today, for some reason I was really noticing people's hands. Possibly it was because my own hands were dry and had a sliver that hands were on the forefront of my attention today, or possibly because I was working cash and people were handing me things all day long. Anyways, hands are really interesting and can sometimes tell you something about the people who wear them. There are the pudgy fat-fingered hands which hand you slightly moist and wrinkled bills, the warm dry business hands handing over credit cards, and the dirty construction-man hands offering grimy money. There is the fine-boned lady-hands, and of course the fine-boned man-hands, we get those too. Some hands have terrible scars on them, and I wonder what kind of damage and pain they went through. Fire? Acid? Addiction to nail-chewing? Sometimes these damaged hands are peeling or blistering or just a funny color. One older hand that came through my line today was missing a finger. I wonder what it would be like to be missing a finger? I happen to like having the use of all my fingers.

No comments: