Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Reformation Day

I currently am situated in the Redeemer computer lab, blessed with surrealistically fast internet service. It's quite shocking, actually, to click on something and have it come up within two seconds instead of 2 hours. Would it be so difficult to extend such wonderful speed to our apartment, I wonder? Or are we just destined for perpetually slow-like-molasses internet? Sigh. I think I pose a rhetorical question.
Work today was work. At least no one asked me to take down a fridge from the overstock and prepare it for delivery. Do I look like I can carry a fridge? Do I look like I have worked there long enough to have a license to drive their machinery? No, I don't think so, Wally with a dolly.
Mike and I just returned home from a dinner out with my family at Swiss Chalet. Mmm!! And the Halloween . . . . Reformation day dinner tradition lives on.
Yesterday we had our first annual fire drill at church. Of all the eligible people in the church, I happened to be one of the few lucky ones chosen for nursery duty in the morning. It wasn't too busy, at least not in the infant nursery, as we only had four kids. Fire-savvy babysitters that we were, we smelled some hypothetical smoke and just happened to have the kids all bundled up for the entrance of the elders, one of whom announced with a completely convincing monotone intonation of "Fire. There's a fire. Everybody out. There's a fire." So we left, and somehow in the commotion a renegade toddler escaped from the nursery next door and was found later, alone in the church, looking for his parents. This indicates a problem in our fire evacuation procedure, I believe.
I only have one more thing to add. Today I talked to a fellow employee at Staples about one of his most interesting sales experiences. He sold a laptop to an Amish man who had never seen a computer before in his life. Quite funny actually. It was for his daughter going off to college, and they were planning on hiding it in the barn whenever she didn't have to use it for school. This guy had no idea what he was looking for in a laptop, so my colleage explained the concept of a computer in relation to the workings of a tractor. The hay wagon is the hard drive, where you keep all your stuff. The tractor wheel is the "input device", or the keyboard. The engine drives the tractor like the CPU drives the computer. It's strange to realize how accustomed we are to computer terminology, and to think there are people who have absolutely no clue about what a computer even looks like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

an amish man buying a laptop. thats classic. hope you have just as interesting experiences :)

Unknown said...

I haven't run across any Amish customers yet, but I have had some pretty interesting ones. Customers come in all kinds of varieties - interesting, fun, dumb, argumentative, stinky, and on and on.