Monday, November 16, 2009

Product Analysis

A few weeks ago I came across a coupon for a free box of 6 pieces of chocolate-dipped fruit from Edible Arrangements. I don't mind free things at all, and I found the time to drop in there this past weekend to pick up my free fruit. The small print on the coupon said it was worth $14.99 and I was interested to see how much you actually got for 15 bucks. Here goes my product analysis:
As you can see, it comes all wrapped up in a lovely little box. I didn't take a picture of the bag, but it comes in a gift bag as well, with some curly coloured ribbon on it. The box is sturdy quality, with an attractive pattern and a ribbon to keep it closed. I would re-use the box more readily if it didn't have the company name and logo printed on it. Here is our first glimpse of the product. There are 6 chocolate-dipped strawberries, each in their own little waxy paper wrapper. Chocolate was of medium quality, and fairly thick. This made it somewhat awkward to eat the strawberry, for the first bite containing chocolate causes chocolate fragments to fall off the berry or melt on the outside of your mouth. The berry tasted fairly good and quite strawberry-ish, but definitely not field-fresh or sun-sweet. $14.99 value divided by 6 strawberries = $2.50 per strawberry. Keep an eye on the flyers and you can buy a pint of strawberries for that price, and who doesn' t have a few chocolate chips sitting around in the cupboard waiting to be melted onto a strawberry. $2.50 for a single strawberry is ludicrous. Here we have a strawberry that doesn't even look ripe. Hard to tell if this is a normal occurance for this product or if they give the un-ripe fruit to the people who come in with the free coupons. Disappointing anyways, although I realize that the un-ripe fruit has to go somewhere or else it is wasted. However, this strawberry would have cost $2.50 if I hadn't had a coupon that made it free, and I would have been more upset if I had paid full price for a sub-standard berry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he it was free and you did not have to make any dishes dirty for it. i guess that is what service industries do, they tempt you with an item for which you do not have to do any work, and that is what we pay for, or not. hope you enjoyed it. i would still reuse the box, logo or not. anything in the name of recycling?

Unknown said...

True true. I enjoyed the berries and it was nice to get something for free, as that doesn't happen too often. And yes, I would normally keep the box as I am a packrat (and not by any means above wrapping presents in cereal boxes), but I'm trying to clear out some of the extra "stuff" from the house.
Who wrote that comment by the way?