Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Typical Chaos

A collection of pictures from a random day in our household.  
My day begins with a cup of coffee and the calendar.  Well, it began before that with dressing kids and getting their breakfast ready but this is getting my brain in gear.  Add in the telephone, and after the phone call is done I remember why I shouldn't talk on the phone with the calendar in front of me -it always ends up a bit of a mess.  I guess planning the rest of January will have to involve maneuvering around some artistic creativity.  This particular doodling was inspired by Lauren.
 I have a couple of furniture-rearrangers living in the house.  At least once or twice a day, the crib in the older boys' room is hauled over to the other side of the room for some hyper play time.  This is the first time they've done any large-scale moving operations in their younger brother's room.  I'm just glad he wasn't napping at the time. 
 This is the more typical scene:  Aaron's bed pulled over to Peter's, the quilt thrown out and all the animals and pillows thrown in, and lots of screeching and laughing going on.  That is, until one of the monkeys bumps his head, monkeys call the Momma and the Momma says, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"
Much loved by his older brothers, Nate has been supplied with as many baby toys as Pete and Aaron could find.  He's just able to peek through the mound to look for the boys as they run back and forth from his room bringing him more goodies to play with. 
 Something tells me it just might be naptime.  Maybe. 
What do you think?
Hanging out with the littlest bro'
Look like brothers?  I think so!
 Is it really possible to keep the play-dough colours separated?  I'm thinking not.  I wonder what the dominant colour will be when red, yellow, green and blue are finally all mashed into one homogenous mound. 
 Boots drying off after the boys had fun playing outside for an hour 
this morning.  Little bit of snow, little bit of mud, lots of fun.
 Doesn't everyone have a garbage truck and a backhoe sitting 
on their bathroom counter?  Nice new bathroom, by the way eh?  
Worthy of a post of its own.  I'll have to work on that one.
 Typical to find random farm machinery lying abandoned 
around the house, waiting to be stepped on. 
Clomping around in Mom's slippers
Such a nice feeling to find a child playing with a large container of 
diaper rash cream... not.  Thankfully this one was an empty 
one ready for the recycling bin. 
 Yeah I know, they shouldn't be jumping on the bed.  But they've 
been pretty crazy today, and this is helping to burn off a little steam...
 Pull chair over to table.  Grab an orange when Mom's not looking. 
Take a big bite, expecting nice juicy fruit.  Discover the taste of
an orange peel.  Reject fruit. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures Rachel. Robert loved the pic with Nate on the ground with all the toys. I am glad to hear that it not only my boys that have the crazy periods of jumping on their beds and tossing their stuffed animals around!

Unknown said...

Hey, they have to get their energy out somehow eh? My basement's still too much of a mess for them to play down there...

Anonymous said...

one day in the life of the van der deens. sounds like a book title. a little more cheery than the book i am thinking of.it has a russian name (ivan denisovich)

Anonymous said...

I laughed the whole time reading this post - it's fantastic! :)

Favourites:
- Nate with a HUGE pile of toys.
- The fact that instead of comforting Aaron when he was that distraught, you thought you'd take a picture.
- The shot of Nate & Pete
- Them wearing your slippers
- The huge bite out of that orange. LOL. Too funny.


Also: how did I inspire you to do that doodling??

Unknown said...

@Lauren: You were the one I was on the phone with, m'dear!

Leigh said...

wow...that looks amazingly like my life...lol - especially the trucks in the bathroom and all over the floor =)