Monday, June 18, 2012

Airshow

At the end of last week, I brought the boys to Hamilton to stay with Mom and Dad M so I could help Mike with his report cards and some year-end cleaning up and organizing in his classroom.  Thursday night I joined some other ladies in a workshop Mom was hosting, building easels and creating living artwork.  Lots of fun!  I like how it turned out and I think it makes a unique focal point in its new home in our garden.  
As a bonus, the Hamilton Airshow was taking place on the weekend, and the planes were out practicing on Thursday and Friday.  The boys definitely enjoyed watching and we all appreciated seeing some spectacular aeronautical displays!  We discovered that the trick to encouraging more airplane action over the house was to send someone inside to get drinks or answer the phone or something.  As soon as someone went inside, planes would fly over the house.  Here, Peter is getting personal airplane identification lessons from Opa the day before the show.  Dad worked as a marshall at the airport for the actual airshow on Saturday, one of his duties as a volunteer at the museum there.  
Getting botany lessons from Oma.  He is constantly impressing us with his perception and memory - he'll make a good biologist some day.  The other day he saw an overhead screen and the background image was a faded photo of a locust tree.  He pointed that out as being the same kind of tree that we have in our front yard.  I certainly didn't notice it before he pointed it out. 
I believe this is FiFi, a Boeing B29 Superfortress, but I could be wrong.  Actually I'm probably wrong about most of the following airplane identifications, but I'm sure Opa can help me out with some of the names?  Opa? 
Harvards doing some formation flying - got to love the sound of those engines!
The Snowbirds in action, what an absolute treat to watch them fly
The DC-3 on the left, and the Canso on the right
It was hard to catch a photo of this one, the CF-18 Hornet

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes it was fun to have you guys here. And just for fun, I flew in the Harvard, which was a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

Next up the Lancaster, right? :)

Lauren said...

I love those shots of Peter and Opa/Oma.
The one plane you don't know is maybe the DC-3? Maybe? Looks sortof like that to me.
We've always been so spoiled, growing up where we did and getting to see the whole airshow from Mom & Dad's yard!

Unknown said...

I really liked how the Opa/Oma shots turned out as well :) I think you're right on the DC-3 identification - I checked out some photos online and it looks the same. Thanks :) And yes, Mom and Dad do live in a pretty special place!!