Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Good-bye Lungs

My will broken by my Valentine's Day-tempered mood cooperating with my till-now curiousity in the dangerous things of life has led to a monumentous event this very evening. After years of steadfast disapproval and a dedicated concern for both my health and the health of those around me, I succumbed to a few puffs on Mike's pipe. How, indeed, this occurred I still am not sure, but I can be sure that it did happen, as I can still remember the flavour and perhaps when I wake up coughing my lungs out in the middle of the night, I will remember it even more. To be honest, it wasn't really all that bad, but it also wasn't really all that different than what I thought it would be. I'll still take chocolate over tobacco, though.

Instrument of Inhalation

mmmmmm

7 comments:

Rachel said...

so i may have taken a few liberties in what your lungs ACTUALLY may have said... But i bet your stomach aproves of those chocolates!!! (and it says you should indeed share with your friends...). Hope you had a good valentines day Rach!

Unknown said...

My stomach, and especially my taste buds appreciate those chocolates very much! I haven't heard it tell me anything about sharing, though, but if you dropped by I'm sure I could find something good to feed you. Happy post-post-Valentines day to you
too!

Anonymous said...

Real nice how the pipe is right up there along with the Bible.
Was that on purpose or symbolic or just an accident? Because it amused me.

Karen said...

lol, i can't believe you actually succumbed to mike!!! it must have been the chocolates.

Anonymous said...

Certainly you can see my influence in this picture, lauren. Did you notice that there are actually two Bibles? I made sure the point was made doubly strong. By placing the pipe on the bookshelf, the pipe exudes good taste and refinement. Did you notice some of the other books?

Pride and Prejudice
Macbeth
Aid to Botany (1930s))
On Heroes and Heroworship -Carlyle
The Hymnary
Bible X 2
Dutch/English Dictionary
and
Grimm's Fairy Tales

Culture and class.

Yet, I believe the list would have been complete with Aristotle, who believed the highest virtue was moderation. Not abstinence and not excess. Let us enjoy his wisdom. Now, having partook, in moderation, in the culture of the leaf, Rachel is now a virtuous woman in line with Aristotle.

Anonymous said...

woooha ha ha ha.... she's coming over to the dark side

Unknown said...

Well, as far as the picture goes, I would have to say that the pipe was NOT placed next to the Bibles as a measure of "good taste and refinement" because certainly the Bible is more than that. But I am glad it amused you, Lauren, and certainly the placement of the pipe on a shelf containing random cute and scholarly looking books was a little more than accidental.