Monday, November 13, 2006

Good-bye Swimmy

'Tis a sad day in the Vander Deen household, as death has left its cold touch on our doorstep. I am sad to announce that my beloved Swimmy has passed away and is now swimming with his friends in the sewer pipes. Swimmy will be missed by, well, me, anyways, and maybe by Kitty. Swimmy led a long and unproductive life, moving from place to place with an uneasy stomach and a finicky temperament. He knew very few tricks, and liked to hide under his rock. He always enjoyed reminiscing about his mud-puddle days, and would quickly transfom his newly cleaned bowl into a bubbly bubble-nest mess. He ate more than he should have, except in his last days when he ate less than required to survive. Swimmy leaves an empty spot on our bookshelf, but his memory will live on in his very own book: Swimmy, by Leo Lionni.

Swimmy's first day: September 21, 2002. Swimmy arrived with
balloons, fancy-dancy birthday cake, and a big surprise with many
people. Actually, pictured here is Swimmy I, who suffered
much stress and only lasted one day. Swimmy II arrived a few days later,
and soon assumed the general name of Swimmy
Swimmy doing some reading in our new home. He was never one for
much discussion, but he did enjoy his place on the bookshelf.
The Hole Swimmy leaves behind
Swimmy's favourite book of all timeHe taught them to swim close together, each in his own place, and when they had learned to swim like one giant fish, he said, "I'll be the eye." And so they swam in the cool morning water and in the midday sun and chased the big fish away

6 comments:

Karen said...

oh no! After all he has been through, I really didn't expect Swimmy to swim down the pipes anytime soon. :(

Are you going to fill your fancy aquarium with fish now to fill that hole in your hearts (and bookshelf)?

Unknown said...

I don't know about that aquarium - we'll get to it someday. I'd like to try angel-fish but I haven't had too much luck with them. I think I've killed at least 8 or 9 that I can remember.

Anonymous said...

NO WAY!
My fish died this weekend too!
I went to go feed him Sunday morning and there he was, dead. Floating rather vertically, actually.
I cried all day.

Except I made that last part up....
Poor Swimmy. Gone to Davey Jone's Locker....

Unknown said...

My condolences for the passing of your fish. Bad anti-fish weekend, bad!!
I have a feeling Swimmy will never make it to the real Davey Jone's Locker, maybe just his little brother's in the lake.

The Hammer said...

"Swimmy led a long and unproductive life, moving from place to place with an uneasy stomach and a finicky temperament."

Best obituary ever. Hehe.

rebekah said...

rach. thats a very sad story. and so many memories.
he definately did better than the first swimmy though!