Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Later days of Summer

Aaaaand it's August already. I'm not sure how that happened, other than the obvious explanation of the earth's rotation and time and all that, but no one ever asked me if the time could go by that fast... Here we are, home from vacation and looking ahead to the last month of summer, which will be filled with busyness of its own. The last week of July we spent at a cottage near Port Severn with Mike's family. We were right on the water and had a gorgeous view of the lake, and the many boats passing by on the Trent-Severn waterway. We had fun watching the 4 little boys play together, we played lots of games ourselves, there were some fish caught, and I read a few sentences of my book. We were thankful that the trips up and back home went as well with the kids as they did, as a map-quested 2 hour 45 min drive took 4 hours on the way there, and 4.5 on the way back. We managed not to stop at all, although this meant quite a bit of non-seat-belted time for me in the back of the van with the boys. Oh did I say "Van"? Yup, we bought a new van and got it a few days before we left. We loved having all the extra space, and it was quite comfortable to drive as well. If you're interested in a 2003 Olds Alero, we've got it listed on Kijiji, just let me know.
We started demolishing our bathroom just about as soon as we got back, and as a result my house is turning into a disaster zone. When we moved in there was no ventilation fan in the bathroom and I have a feeling it wasn't used to the moisture from two daily showers. In any case, it needed some fixing up and that's what it's going to get. Unfortunately, having only one bathroom presents a bit of a problem when you're ripping out the fixtures, so I am going to stay with the kids at my parents for a little while until things are a bit more liveable.
Aaaaand now for some pictures.
Kids seem to automatically know how to jump in puddles :DI must have been a little too absorbed in something or other the
other day to notice Peter toddling back and forth across the house
from my potato bag to the sunroomWhat a cheerful little guy!!Peter got to hang out with Dad and Opa at the Warplane Heritage
Museum two weeks ago. The thing he was most fascinated with
was the fire extinguisher, but he enjoyed this airplane as well.How many kids (or adults for that matter) have been on one of the
world's two flying Lancaster Bombers? It's nice to have some
inside connections... Peter's waaaay in the back thereOops! We dressed them up like twins! Peter and Robert at the cottage.
I'm afraid I don't have a whole lot of cottage pics, sorry about that.Michael driving the boat and possibly enjoying himself a whole lotWhen we got home, the garden had gone crazy! I'm a little afraid
those tomatoes are going to take over the house! Maybe next
year we should spread things out a little more... I've
completely lost the broccoliHere are some of the things I harvested from the garden on Monday...
red and green leaf lettuce, celery, green peppers, jalepeno peppers,
beets, carrots, bush beans, climber beans, and cherry tomatoes.
It feels good to eat your own food!Stay tuned for more of these shots! This is our bathroom in early
stages of demolition

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Wow, Rach! That shot of your vegetables looks like it belongs in a gardening magazine!