Friday, May 20, 2011

May Garden Tour

Rain, rain, rain.  It's been pretty plentiful this spring!  I've been hoping to get some stuff planted in the gardens, but it's been so wet I'm afraid things will just drown out there.  Every once in a while we have a sunny day or afternoon, and it's great to be able to send the boys out there to play for a while.
 I thought I'd plant some seeds yesterday, but when I almost got slurped right into the garden, I thought better of it.  I almost lost my boots!  I guess it'll have to wait a while before I get in there, but judging by the forecast, it'll be some time before the soil has a chance to dry up a bit. 
 The rhubarb is LOVING this weather, it's definitely thriving.  I'll be out there later today to get some for a rhubarb crisp for this weekend!  There's not much for gardens at this place yet, but at least the rhubarb is happy!   
And the lilacs are blooming...mmm... smells so good out there.  We weren't living here yet at this time last year, so it's nice to have free access to as many lilac blooms as I want to take inside and enjoy.  They're a bit more purple than it looks in this picture. 
The evergreen tree in the backyard is growing too... although I don't think it'll grow too much in the bottom three feet as the kids keep picking these light-green shoots off and bringing them to me as "flowers".  Oh well, I don't know if we'll be able to keep the tree anyways, as when the deck gets built, it'll be in the way of the clothesline.
The kids are very much looking forward to this Kijiji purchase being put together into their very own backyard playground!  Mike is hoping to build it on the holiday Monday coming up.  Except...thinking on the spot here...he needs to replace some bolts and the stores will be closed.  I guess we'll have to rethink that.  Anyways, it'll be nice for them to have something else to play with in the backyard, especially as there aren't any parks within walking distance that we can use during the day (there's one close by, but it belongs to a school). 
These posts are waiting for a fence to be built on them, but for now the post holes are filled with water - what a magnet for little boys playing outside!  They've been fascinated by the deep puddles, and have stayed surprisingly dry while they tinker around with their shovels and sticks.
Snack time outside!  The rain took a little break and the sun actually came out, so we had a snack outside yesterday afternoon.  So nice to get some Vitamin D!
The sandbox is back into full swing, providing hours of entertainment.  Of course, sandbox entertainment wouldn't be complete without playing Sand-In-The-Mouth and Give-Your-Brother-Whacks-On-The-Head-With-A-Shovel, and Give-Me-Back-That-Truck-Or-I'll-Scream.  But the fun outweighs the arguing.
A baby swing came with the playset we got off Kijiji,
and I hung it temporarily on a branch of the apricot tree.
I think Nate might have liked it, what do you think? 
 Happy to have something to do outside with his brothers! 

6 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

How cute is Nathan's face?!

WE too are trying to flant our garden! Not only did the squirrels get to our seeds from Thailand, but the rain soaked them so much we aren't sure if they will sprout at all!

Time to replant the rest of the seeds in a few weeks I hope!

That rhubarb looks like a great plant we should think about planting/growing.

Good luck!

Leigh said...

my kids play the same sandbox games...go figure =)

Unknown said...

Lee-Anne: I'm sure you're loving having some green space of your own after your condo! What kind of seeds did you get from Thailand? That's so fun!
Leigh: I can just imagine, and you've got three boys sharing that space! I'll be there in a year or two! :)

Danielle said...

I love the pics and the commentary - Nate's face is priceless...he's super cute! And i love the sandbox games - i think we just played Hide-the-Dinkie-Cars-in-the-Rocks-and-find-them-three-years-later and Build-many-tunnels...How life has changed!
BTW, my rhubarb is doing splendidly as well - and i was so happy it was a fully dry day today cause i did plant some plants today - tomatoes, marigolds, and other colorful things are now dotted around the garden...

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, those pictures of Nate in the swing are just way too precious! What a sweetie-pie :)

ADasa said...

Love the updates! I remember those sandbox days... ;)
D