Saturday, December 04, 2010

Update

While I'm on a roll (three posts in one day?? Count yourselves lucky, readers! I think I've done my quota for the next month or two, haha) I should do an update on the kids.  Let's start with Nathaniel.  Nate has been the baby with the best sleeping habits of all my kids - and probably of all babies that I know.  Last night, I put him to bed at around 9:30, and he woke up this morning at 9.  He didn't wake up ALL night, and although I went into his room with much anxiety this morning to check on him, he was still happily sawing logs.  He usually takes two naps during the day as well, one of them often 2-3 hours long, and then a little cat-nap while I do the dishes after supper.  Combined with my two other kids who usually don't wake up until 7:30 or 8 (8:30 this morning!!), I'm not sure how I deserve all this extra sleep but it's pretty wonderful and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.  I've been taking some specific vitamins and supplements which have been helping me sleep better, and I feel like I am catching up on the weeks of insomnia I had after he was born, and the months and years before that of very crummy sleep.  Nate is almost 3 months old now, and growing well.  He was just over 15 lbs when I had him weighed two weeks ago, so he's probably creeping up on 16 lbs now.  He's growing out of his clothes so fast, as he is a very long baby and fitting into 6-9 month clothes, sometimes even 12 month clothes.  He's not particularly chubby, but is just large for his age - both his height and weight are way off the percentile charts.  It's such a blessing to have a healthy and happy baby, and so nice that I'm able to keep up with nursing him.  He is a little sweetheart, giving us lots of smiles, starting with little laughs, and loving to talk to us as well.  Peter and Aaron were not very talkative babies, so I am enjoying this stage a lot.  He loves to be held, and I love to hold him.  It can be hard to get things done around the house but they are only little for so long.  We don't really need to eat supper on time anyways do we? 
Aaron is growing up so fast - looking at pictures from just a few short months ago shows such a difference from the little boy we have today.  It's amazing how much kids grow in cognition at this age - the first year of life seems to be much more of a physical growth, while the second year their mind expands so much.  He understands so much of what we say, and although he doesn't have a huge vocabulary yet, he's working on that every day.  I love listening to him singing along with the CDs I play for the kids.  One of his favourite words right now, unfortunately, is "no", and this is the source of much frustration for Peter especially.  Peter knows he isn't allowed to say "no" to Mommy or Daddy, but when Aaron says "no" to him, he gets SO mad!  "Mommy, Aaron said 'no' to me!".  If I'm not in the room, Aaron gets spankings from his brother for his obstinence.  Of course this is not allowed and in a "trying to see the bright side" way, I find it a little amusing.  Aaron watches everything his brother does and wants to take part in it as well.  He loves to tag along with Peter when Peter goes to the bathroom, claiming he has to "pee".  He'll stand there at the edge of the toilet and Peter will tell me that Aaron is peeing with his tummy.  Hopefully this means that toilet-training will be just as easy with Aaron as with Peter when the time comes!  Aaron is recovering from a bout with pneumonia that started about two weeks ago.  He had been sick with a cold and runny nose for about 2 1/2 weeks, but all of a sudden his breathing became quite laboured and shallow.  I took him to McMaster with Danielle (we were in Hamilton for the day) and a chest x-ray confirmed the pneumonia.  He was on antibiotics for a week, and it took a few days up and down with fevers and struggling to breath before he started to get better.  His appetite is just returning now.  No fun!  We're glad no one else ended up with it. 
I've done a number of updates with little things that Peter has said or done in the last while - he continues to be a lot of fun as well as a big stinker.  He is the oldest and so we have no older sibling to compare his development to.  Part of the adventure of parenting I guess!  I feel a little bad not having much to write about him here that I haven't already posted but just look over the last bunch of posts and you'll see some of his antics. 
Anyways, I've got some pictures of course, so here you go!
Nathaniel, getting bigger every day.  His acne 
has cleared up nicely!
 A little bit of anger at Peter's birthday - no fair!  
Only he gets presents??
 We went to Swiss Chalet on Peter's birthday, and the 
servers sang for him :)
 Always a goof! 
 Little sweetheart!  He keeps changing so fast!
 Watching the cookies baking...mmmm
 Playing in the cupboards is so much fun!
 Enjoying some creative time with paint - this time not 
licking the brushes thankfully
 Middle children unite!
 Snuggling with my littlest man
Weight and height charts for Nathaniel - definitely off 
the charts for both!  He's the average size of a baby 
several months older than him
 Aaron was also at the top of the charts, but his weight has 
gone WAY up.  He's a solid little guy! 
 Peter's charts - you can definitely see where he started on formula

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I had forgotten that picture of Aaron very angry at Peter's birthday - i had to laugh a lot! And the picture of the kids watching the cookies baking is priceless!

Anonymous said...

I love you and your kids and your hubby and your posts and your pictures :)

I really really like the shot of Pete & Aaron watching the cookies bake - super cute!!