Saturday, November 19, 2011

Breaking the Laws

Mike and I were in the basement this afternoon, both busy working.  Of course, if we are in the basement, so are our dear boys, who find the basement to be a very exciting place to be as long as they are not down there alone.  I found their behaviour somewhat hard to understand while we were working, as it didn't seem to fit within logical constraints.  For some reason, they were much more interested in helping Mike out with his work than helping me out with mine.  After all, MY work was breaking basic laws of thermodynamics and entropy.  While things are naturally inclined to move from a state of order to a state of chaos, folding the laundry is a task which actually turns chaos into order.  You would think that such an amazing feat would be recognized as extraordinary, and that my children would be entranced by what I was doing, and would certainly want to help.  No such luck.  For some reason, the wall that Daddy was ripping down was much more interesting to them, despite the fact that this moving from order to chaos is typical according to the second law of thermodynamics, and should not cause any undue excitement to anyone observing.  Should I expect my children to ignore any phenomenal exceptions to natural laws in the world around them?  Perhaps I should introduce them to the wonders of folding laundry...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now maybe if they were girls, there might be some inherited need for order and neatness. But I have to confess , I'd probably go for the chaos as well. mom

Danielle said...

You are quite funny you know. I'm glad to have such an excellent word smith as a sister... but i don't think you're going to tempt your boys to be more interested in laundry than construction!